Saturday, March 16, 2013

Ask Luci 3/16/13: Crochet Advice and Recording Shipping Accounting Transactions

Hello Friends!

I have been an accountant/bookkeeper for 10 years.  I worked at an ecommerce company for a year, and a search company for 2 years.  I have been crafting for almost 30 years.  So if you have questions about accounting, taxes, SEO, the ecommerce game, or crafting you have come to the right place!  If you have a question email it to askhippiepluci@gmail.com!

Dear Luci,

I am learning to crochet.  I am having problems with my work looking uneven.  The sides are never a straight line.  I'm not sure where I am going wrong.  I have been practicing and practicing, but always with the same result.  I am about ready to give up!  Any advice?

Uneven Hooker

Dear Uneven Hooker,

Two things come to mind, and they are the most common problems new crocheters struggle with.  I myself did when I first started many years ago.  So don't give up just yet!

First thing I would check is to see if you are dropping or accidentally increasing your stitches.  Count each row.  Do you have the same number of stitches on each row?  If you have more on a row than you did on the previous row you are accidentally increasing stitches.  This means that you are accidentally putting in more than one stich per chain or stitch on the previous row.  If you have fewer stitches that the previous row, then you are dropping stitches.  This means that you are not putting in one stitch per chain or stitch on the previous row.  If you notice it is one of these two things, count the stitches on each row before you continue.  Eventually it will become second nature for you to place one stitch in each chain or stitch on the previous row.

The other thing it could be is your tension.  This is caused mostly by how tightly or loosely you hold the strand of yarn.  It is always uneven when you first learn, causing some stitches to be tighter than others, and some to be looser than others.  Tension is kind of like handwriting, each person has their own.  The trick is to learn to keep the tension even throughout your work.  This is something that comes with time and practice.  You will find when you do get your tension even, and you start doing more complicated work where gauge is important, that yours will not always be the same as what is listed on the pattern.  You can adjust that by increasing or decreasing your hook size, depending on if your gauge is larger or smaller than what is listed on the pattern.  If your gauge is larger than theirs, use a smaller hook.  If your gauge is smaller than theirs, just use a larger hook.

Crochet is an art that is not learned overnight.  Just try to be patient and practice, practice, practice.  Before you know it, you will be an accomplished crochet artist!

Much Love,

Luci

Dear Luci,

I have been trying to decide how I should record my shipping expenses for my Etsy shop.  I have been doing some reading online, but am very confused.  It seems some people treat it as a shipping expense, but some treat it as a "reimbursable expense"?  How should I be doing this??

Not an Accountant

Dear Not an Accountant,

If you do not charge your customers for shipping than this would be a straight expense, and should be recorded as a shipping expense.  However, if you charge for shipping like most Etsy shops do, you would want to record this as a reimbursable expense.  This can include not just the actual cost of shipping the order, but shipping supplies such as boxes, packing for fragile items, shipping labels, and tape to seal parcels to name a few examples.

By recording your shipping expenses as a reimbursable expense, the money you receive for shipping is no longer considered revenue.  It is only a reimbursement of an expense.  This will lower your revenue, and your tax liability.  You just have to make sure that you also record the money you receive for shipping as an offset to the reimbursable expenses account.  For my Etsy shops, I charge for shipping and record all shipping expenses as a reimbursable expense.

Much Love,

Luci

Have a question?  Email askhippiepluci@gmail.com!!  Ask Luci appears on the Hippe Peaceniks blog every Saturday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment