Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Member Monday Group Discussion: Beginning on Etsy and Advice for newcomers

Last week's group discussion topic was so much fun, that we thought we'd do it again yesterday! This week's topic was "When did you first start creating? Why did you decide to open up shop on Etsy? What's your advice for a new shop owner?" Here are what two of our awesome teamies had to say over on the Hippie Peaceniks team!



Sarah from StarJewels


"I first started creating as a child, I was in art clases when in preschool. Then I got into ceramics which I did for 16 years. I started designing and selling jewelry in high school, making earrings and other jewelry by soldering straight pins and safety pins in various designs. I got into beading later, and have been doing it for about 20 years now. I decided to open a shop on etsy because I had to scale back my "regular" advertising and marketing work, which involved long hours and tight deadlines, due to taking care of my young daughter full time, and jewelry was something I loved that I could do during naps etc. I have sold in boutiques but did not like that they take 50% or more of the sales price, and schlepping around to boutiques was not manageable with a baby. I had sold successfully on ebay before but found it was better for supplies and simple trendy items than for intricate handmade jewelry. Etsy was a good fit for my work and life. My advice for a new shop owner would be "don't give up". Sales are few and far between at first and it takes time to learn SEO, and get your photography great, develop your branding, and build a large enough inventory of listings to get decent visibility and sales on the site (my sales got regular at 100 listings). Try to keep improving and evolving, create a shop policies page, and keep adding listings. If you create lots of things people want to buy, and can get your SEO and pics where they need to be, the sales will come, as long as your pricing and shipping is within range for your category."



Deni from Cutterstone

 

"When hubby and I got married 3 years ago, I encouraged him to do his own thing and we'd open our Etsy store. I create some, don't consider myself very creative, but I know what I like when I do create. I'm just a much better "busy work" person, numbers are my thing! Hubby is amazingly creative, to look at him you'd think he was just some old hippie dude, but he can do flowers better than me! My advice to a new shop owner is: be prepared to network, network, network...you will be amazed at how your shop will do!"

 

Thanks so much for stopping by the Hippie Blog! I hope you enjoyed learning more about a couple of our members beginnings, and maybe picked up a reminder or a tip for yourself! Stop by next week for another closer look on some of our awesome hippie shops and their owners. Until then, smile and pass it on :) 

XO,
 

No comments:

Post a Comment